1. Ants evolved from wasp-like ancestors more than 110 million years ago.
2. There are more varieties of ants than there are varieties of any other animal – more than 12,000 recognized species.
3. In the Book of Proverbs, in the Bible, ants are held up as a good example for humans for their hard work and cooperation.
4. Ants don’t sleep. Well … scientists aren’t certain
about that, but they do know that ants don’t have eyelids, so they can’t close their eyes.
5. Ants make up more than 10% of the world’s biomass.
6. The ants in the Pixar movie, ‘A Bug’s Life’, have only four legs.
7. Ants will not cross a line of cinnamon.
8. In parts of Africa, ants are considered to be messengers of the gods.
9. There were ants on Earth 35 million years before there were dinosaurs.
10. Just like humans, ants live in communities, make gardens, farm other animals, fight wars, wash their young and enslave their own species.